Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Service = Feeling Good

I love the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. And the recounting of this touching story from his father's memory keeps that love alive.

In the hectic Early mornings, battling to get ready for school, my mother often would extend me the challenge to give some act of kindness during that day to a fellow pupil(or teacher it didn't really matter). The best types of service being the unknown kinds, where the giver is unknown by the receiver. During these my teenage years she tried, and i hope not in vain, to instill a beautiful value in me and the rest of my siblings. A value that would bring true happiness to her children and those they would come in contact with. Teaching us to feel real happiness by being a tool in God's hands to brighten one of His children's day.
Some scriptures that come to mind-

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Matthew 22:36-39

"...how many of them are brought to behold the marvelous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work." Alma 26:3



"Have I done any good in the world today?Have I helped anyone in need?Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?If not, I have failed indeed.Has anyone’s burden been lighter today Because I was willing to share?Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more Than dream of your mansion above.Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,A blessing of duty and love.
There are chances for work all around just now,Opportunities right in our way.Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”But go and do something today.’Tis noble of man to work and to give;Love’s labor has merit alone.Only he who does something helps others to live.To God each good work will be known.
"

LDS Hymn Book #223
Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847–1909, alt.

3 comments:

  1. I give this post a standing ovation.. well done my good friend well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Humphreys - what a great post! That hymn is one of my personal favorites. I try to live my life by the principles outlined in this hymn. As a missionary, this is basically your job description. The people you touch through your work as a missionary is truly a blessing of duty and love. You are a great missionary Elder. I am a better person for knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i finally figured this out. haha anyway.. i love this. it's beautiful! we really never know how our actions may affect someone. every move we make could be a witness and everything we do affects someone else. precisely why it is so important to live our testimonies. it may give someone a chance (possibly their only chance) to experience christ like love. and as i've always been taught, and personally experienced, that may be just enough to put them one step in the right direction. at very least, they WILL remember it. people may not always remember what we say or do, but they will always remember how it made them feel.

    ReplyDelete